The Resource Swamplandia!
- Statement of responsibility
- Karen Russell
- trueLiterary fiction
- Alligators -- Fiction
- Everglades (Fla.) -- Fiction
- trueFantasy fiction
- trueMissing teenage girls
- trueFamily relationships
- trueElectronic books
- Girls -- Fiction
- trueMother-separated families
- trueTen Thousand Islands, Florida
- trueMagical realism
- Mothers -- Death -- Fiction
- trueAdult books for young adults
- Motherless families -- Fiction
- trueComing-of-age stories
- trueEverglades, Florida
- Ten Thousand Islands (Fla.) -- Fiction
- trueGrief in teenage girls
- trueAmusement parks
- Amusement parks -- Fiction
- trueMothers -- Death
- Twelve year old Ava must travel into the Underworld part of the smamp in order to save her family's dynasty of Bigtree alligator wresting. This novel takes us to the swamps of the Florida Everglades, and introduces us to Ava Bigtree, an unforgettable young heroine. The Bigtree alligator wrestling dynasty is in decline, and Swamplandia!, their island home and gator wrestling theme park, formerly no. 1 in the region, is swiftly being encroached upon by a fearsome and sophisticated competitor called the World of Darkness. Ava's mother, the park's indomitable headliner, has just died; her sister, Ossie, has fallen in love with a spooky character known as the Dredgeman, who may or may not be an actual ghost; and her brilliant big brother, Kiwi, who dreams of becoming a scholar, has just defected to the World of Darkness in a last ditch effort to keep their family business from going under. Ava's father, affectionately known as Chief Bigtree, is AWOL; and that leaves Ava, a resourceful but terrified thirteen, to manage ninety eight gators as well as her own grief. Against a backdrop of hauntingly fecund plant life animated by ancient lizards and lawless hungers, the author has written a novel about a family's struggle to stay afloat in a world that is inexorably sinking
- ALA Notable Book, 2012.
- Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults, 2011.
- New York Times Notable Book 2011
- School Library Journal Best Books: Best Adult Books 4 Teens, 2011.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Swamplandia!
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Swamplandia!
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/resource/Pg_hJLyBgaU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/resource/Pg_hJLyBgaU/">Swamplandia!</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/">Arapahoe Library District</a></span></span></span></span></div>