The Resource Between the World and Me
- Between the World and Me
- Statement of responsibility
- Ta-Nehisi Coates
- trueSociety and culture -- Race
- Discrimination & Race Relations -- SOCIAL SCIENCE
- trueRace (Social sciences)
- trueElectronic books
- trueRace relations
- United States -- HISTORY
- trueAfrican Americans -- Identity
- trueBlack Lives Matter movement
- trueAdult books for young adults
- Personal Memoirs -- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY
- trueLife stories -- Identity | Race and ethnicity
- trueAfrican American men
- trueAutobiographies and memoirs
- Hailed by Toni Morrison as 2required reading,3 a bold and personal literary exploration of America’s racial history by 2the single best writer on the subject of race in the United States3 (The New York Observer) 2This is your country, this is your world, this is your body, and you must find some way to live within the all of it.3 In a profound work that pivots from the biggest questions about American history and ideals to the most intimate concerns of a father for his son, Ta-Nehisi Coates offers a powerful new framework for understanding our nation’s history and current crisis. Americans have built an empire on the idea of 2race,3 a falsehood that damages us all but falls most heavily on the bodies of black women and men—bodies exploited through slavery and segregation, and, today, threatened, locked up, and murdered out of all proportion. What is it like to inhabit a black body and find a way to live within it? And how can we all honestly reckon with this fraught history and free ourselves from its burden? Between the World and Me is Ta-Nehisi Coates’s attempt to answer these questions in a letter to his adolescent son. Coates shares with his son—and readers—the story of his awakening to the truth about his place in the world through a series of revelatory experiences, from Howard University to Civil War battlefields, from the South Side of Chicago to Paris, from his childhood home to the living rooms of mothers whose children’s lives were taken as American plunder. Beautifully woven from personal narrative, reimagined history, and fresh, emotionally charged reportage, Between the World and Me clearly illuminates the past, bracingly confronts our present, and offers a transcendent vision for a way forward. Praise for Between the World and Me 2Powerful and passionate . . . profoundly moving . . . a searing meditation on what it means to be black in America today.3—Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times 2Brilliant . . . [Coates] is firing on all cylinders, and it is something to behold: a mature writer entirely consumed by a momentous subject and working at the extreme of his considerable powers at the very moment national events most conform to his vision.3—The Washington Post 2I’ve been wondering who might fill the intellectual void that plagued me after James Baldwin died. Clearly it is Ta-Nehisi Coates. The language of Between the World and Me, like Coates’s journey, is visceral, eloquent, and beautifully redemptive. And its examination of the hazards and hopes of black male life is as profound as it is revelatory.3—Toni Morrison 2A brilliant thinker at the top of his powers, Coates has distilled four hundred years of history and his own anguish and wisdom into a prayer for his beloved son and an invocation to the conscience of his country. Between the World and Me is an instant classic and a gift to us all.3—Isabel Wilkerson, author of The Warmth of Other Suns 2I know that this book is addressed to the author’s son, and by obvious analogy to all boys and young men of color as they pass, inexorably, into harm’s way. I hope that I will be forgiven, then, for feeling that Coates was speaking to me, too, one father to another, teaching me that real courage is the courage to be vulnerable.3—Michael Chabon 2A work of rare beauty . . . a love letter written in a moral emergency, one that Coates exposes with the precision of an autopsy and the force of an exorcism.3—Slate From the Hardcover edition
- ALA Notable Book, 2016.
- Alex Award, 2016.
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2015
- Booklist Editors' Choice: Adult Books for Young Adults, 2015
- Indies' Choice Book Awards, Adult Nonfiction, 2016.
- Kirkus Prize for Nonfiction, 2015.
- Library Journal Best Books 2015
- National Book Award for Nonfiction, 2015.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2015
- School Library Journal Best Books: Best Adult Books 4 Teens, 2015.
- Street Lit Book Award Medal: Adult Non-Fiction, 2016.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Between the World and Me
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Between the World and Me
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/resource/QD61JBbXiZo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/resource/QD61JBbXiZo/">Between the World and Me</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.arapahoelibraries.org/">Arapahoe Library District</a></span></span></span></span></div>